“The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face shine on you and be gracious to you; the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace.”
Numbers 6:24-26 NIV
We all pray to God for blessings. Bible talks about a God who blesses us. I think the first prayer every child starts praying is that ‘Lord, bless me, bless my parents, bless everyone,Amen! And they will slowly start adding more words to it as they grow mature.
What is a blessing? This is what God taught me about blessing- Anything that will draw you closer to God is a blessing.
Let us look into few examples from God’s word.
We often take the example of Abraham, who was blessed by Almighty God. Abraham was blessed by God abundantly. But does that mean his life was easy. No, he went through so much of pain and troubles, through it all God was shaping him. Let us look at the response of Abraham towards the blessings of God.
- In chapter 12 of Genesis we see that God blessed Abraham to make him a blessing. And the immediate verses following that shows how Abraham obeyed Lord by setting out for the journey towards the unseen land by faith. And verses 7&8 of that chapter we see, there Abraham built an altar for God and called upon His name.
- Then again in chapter 13 we see Abraham is blessed by God because he let lot choose the fertile land of the plains of Jordan. After receiving the blessing from God in verse 18, we read Abraham built an altar for God.
- In chapter 17 we see Abraham receiving the promise from Almighty God about God will make him father of nations and Sarah, mother of nations. And Sarah shall bear a son and he should call him Issac. And the very next verses we see Abraham coming closer to God and obeying Him in everything. And he circumcised Ishmael and all males in his house according to the word he received from God.
- The blessing Abraham received from God , his son Issac. When God tested Abraham by asking him to sacrifice his son, we learn how Abraham stepped out in obedience and that even made him more closer to God. Abraham got the revelation of the attribute of God as Jehovah-Jireh(The God who provides) and he sacrificed the ram God provided for him in that mountain.
Another person whom we often quote when talking about blessings is King David. How a shepherd boy, was blessed and anointed by God to become the king of Israel. And God blessed David abundantly.
We see God sent prophet Nathan to David to declare the blessings upon him.
“Now go and say to my servant David, ‘This is what the Lord of Heaven’s Armies has declared: I took you from tending sheep in the pasture and selected you to be the leader of my people Israel. I have been with you wherever you have gone, and I have destroyed all your enemies before your eyes. Now I will make your name as famous as anyone who has ever lived on the earth!
…starting from the time I appointed judges to rule my people Israel. And I will give you rest from all your enemies. “Furthermore, the Lord declares that he will make a house for you—a dynasty of kings! Your house and your kingdom will continue before me for all time, and your throne will be secure forever.”
2 Samuel 7:8-9, 11, 16 NLT
But after hearing all these blessings from God through prophet Nathan, the very next passage talks about the response of David. It starts like this
Then King David went in and sat before the Lord and prayed, “Who am I, O Sovereign Lord, and what is my family, that you have brought me this far?
…..And may your name be honored forever so that everyone will say, ‘The Lord of Heaven’s Armies is God over Israel!’ And may the house of your servant David continue before you forever.”
2 Samuel 7:18, 26 NLT
Look at David coming even more closer to God with a humble heart and full surrender. And God calls David, a man after His own heart.
Another example of God’s blessing is the life of Obed-Edom. The Lord blessed Obed-Edom and his household because of the Ark of The Lord. That blessing from God had a divine purpose. David was afraid of God to bring the Ark of the Lord to Jerusalem because Uzzah was killed when he touched God’s ark. But now when he heard the blessings Obed-Edom and family received, David was encouraged to bring the Ark of the Lord to the city of Jerusalem with gladness. Not only that we read from 1 Chronicles 26:6-8 the family of Obed-Edom became faithful gatekeepers in the temple of God. God’s blessings made them come more closer to God.
Jesus-Sermon on the mount
Jesus in his sermon on the mount talks about the blessed people.
Matthew 5:3-11 NKJV
- Blessed are the poor in spirit, For theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
- Blessed are those who mourn, For they shall be comforted.
- Blessed are the meek, For they shall inherit the earth.
- Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, For they shall be filled.
- Blessed are the merciful, For they shall obtain mercy.
- Blessed are the pure in heart, For they shall see God.
- Blessed are the peacemakers, For they shall be called sons of God.
- Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, For theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
- Blessed are you when they revile and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely for My sake.
Look at the list of people who are blessed. And see how they are drawn more closer to God through those situations and so they were called Blessed.
What kind of blessings are we seeking today? Blessings that will keep our focus on Jesus and His mission or ‘blessings’ that will take our focus away from what is most important.?!
Sometimes we go through hard times and experiences in our life. If they draw us closer to God, then it is a blessing. So we can turn our trials into blessing by getting more closer to Him. I am so thankful to God that He is the Potter and I am the clay. And He is the best. Let us yield to the hands of God through every moment of our life, that we be a blessing in His hands.
Everything God gave us, every opportunity that God gives us;
- Our family
- Our relationships
- Our Job
- Our talents
- Our victories
- Our failures
- Our pain
- Our trials
- All that God gave us
will be blessing if we keep our focus on Jesus and draw close to Him. “Every blessing You pour out, I’ll turn back to praise….”🙌
Let not the material riches entice us and draw us away from God, or let not the hard experiences make us bitter and angry towards God. But in every situation give thanks to God and come more and more closer to Him.
Then we will be able to say like David “It is good for me that I have been afflicted; that I might learn thy statutes.”
Psalms 119:71 kjv
I like this prayer of Agur from Proverbs 30
“Two things I ask of you, Lord; do not refuse me before I die: Keep falsehood and lies far from me; give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread. Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you and say, ‘Who is the Lord?’ Or I may become poor and steal, and so dishonor the name of my God.”
Proverbs 30:7-9 NIV
What matters the most/True blessing.
What matters in the end is your relationship with Jesus and what you did for Him. Take time to look into your life today and check how is your relationship with Jesus. Are you in love with the blessings or the giver of blessings?
“And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? Is anything worth more than your soul?”
Matthew 16:26 NLT
If blessings draw us closer to God, the greatest blessing is the salvation of your soul. Accepting Jesus Christ as the Lord and Savior of your life.
True blessing that we all should seek is the presence of Almighty God in our lives. To be more like Him, to do His will and to draw more and more closer to Him. To Abraham God said ‘I am your exceedingly great reward’(Genesis 15:1).
Two little lines I heard one day,
Traveling along life’s busy way;
Bringing conviction to my heart,
And from my mind would not depart;
Only one life, ’twill soon be past,
Only what’s done for Christ will last.
Only one life, yes only one,
Soon will its fleeting hours be done;
Then, in ‘that day’ my Lord to meet,
And stand before His Judgement seat;
Only one life,’twill soon be past,
Only what’s done for Christ will last.
From the Poem ‘ only one life’ by C T Studd.
May God bless you all 🙏